Storm can’t pass on Fabbri’s talents
By Tony Saxon, Guelph Mercury – When you hear who Robby Fabbri gets compared to, you get a sense of why the Guelph Storm was thrilled to pick him sixth overall in Saturday’s Ontario Hockey League draft.
Doug Gilmour? Mike Cammalleri? Ryan Callahan?
“That probably wouldn’t be a bad comparison,” Storm general manager Mike Kelly said of the Callahan comparison.
“He has a high, high, high compete level. He’s cut from the same cloth as (last year’s first pick) Hunter Garlent, only he’s a little bit bigger.”
The 5-foot-10, 155-pound Fabbri scored 57 goals, 48 assists and was captain of the Mississauga Rebels squad that won the OHL Cup tournament between North America’s top minor midget teams.
Fabbri arrived at the Sleeman Centre about an hour before the Storm picked him, with the top five picks already known by Kelly.
“I found out a coupe of days ago and I was excited to get up here. This is a perfect place for me,” said Fabbri, accompanied by a large contingent of family members.
“Skill is important, but you always have to work hard to be the best and that’s something I always strive to be every game.”
Storm scouting coordinator Chris McCleary said Fabbri was the most talented forward in the draft after first overall pick Connor McDavid.
“His compete level is through the ceiling and he has elite-level skill,” McCleary said.










































































