Job Opportunity: Manager, Communications and Content
Position: Full Time, Salary
Reports: Director, Communications
Are you passionate about the Western Hockey League? Do you eat, sleep, breathe and live WHL hockey?
The WHL is looking for a dynamic, energetic and passionate Manager, Communications & Content, to join the WHL Communications department and deliver the high level of engaging and exciting content that WHL fans have come to expect.
The world of Communications and Content in the WHL continues to evolve at an ever-increasing rate, allowing opportunity for a creative individual to step in, pitch fresh ideas, and be a part of a motivated Digital Media team that is committed to telling the many stories of the WHL and its 22 member Clubs – be those stories current or historical in nature.
Established in 1966, the WHL is regarded as the world’s finest development league for junior hockey players. The WHL has produced some of hockey’s all-time greats, including Joe Sakic (Swift Current Broncos), Jarome Iginla (Kamloops Blazers), Carey Price (Tri-City Americans) and Ryan Getzlaf (Calgary Hitmen), among many others. Working in the WHL Communications department provides individuals with the opportunity to create dynamic content promoting the future stars of the NHL and Canada’s National Junior Teams.
Do you enjoy a challenge and working in a fast-paced work environment? Is working in hockey and producing informative and engaging content a dream you have always wanted to pursue? Look no further.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead execution of WHL Content Strategy in cooperation with WHL Manager, Video & Creative Services
- Manage WHL Content Calendar, WordPress CMS and Social Media Channels
- Produce content for WHL.ca and Social Channels
- Manage production of annual WHL Guide & Record Book
- Manage WHL Game Night Content team
- Support Director, Communications on Public / Media Relations, WHL Live, CHL App and other duties as assigned
- Support Manager, Video & Creative Services as necessary
- Passion for the Western Hockey League & junior hockey
- Outgoing personality and enthusiastic attitude
- Detail oriented and organized
- Ability to take direction, work independently and work in a collaborative team environment
- Comfortable working on multiple projects with tight deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic sports environment
- Willingness to work hockey hours, including evenings and weekends
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Outstanding storytelling ability and editorial judgment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop or other comparable programs
- Experience with Adobe Premiere Pro and / or Illustrator is considered an asset
- Experience & understanding of social media content creation and management
- Proficiency producing written content, including media releases and feature stories
- On-camera experience is not necessary but is considered an asset
- Experience with podcasting and voice work is not necessary but is considered an asset
- Experience conducting interviews for the purpose of storytelling is considering an asset
- Knowledge of Canadian Press style is considered an asset
- Hockey knowledge is a requirement
- Degree or Diploma in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or Sports Media
- Minimum of one to three years of experience in Communications, Public Relations, Content Creation or Journalism
Reports to: Director, Communications
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their cover letter, resume, and any supporting portfolio work with salary expectations to [email protected]; subject: WHL Manager, Communications & Content. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.