Winterhawks Weekly: Hello December
The Winterhawks picked up two wins – including a rousing 5-4 OT win over then-Eastern-Conference-leading Saskatoon – during a busy Thanksgiving week. Ryan Miller scored his first two WHL goals on Sunday and Justen Maric earned his first win between the pipes in that victory over the Blades.
Looking ahead, Portland battles division rival Wenatchee in a home-and-home set on Friday and Saturday, then settles in for a massive Western Conference matchup against top-ranked Prince George on Sunday.
- Forward James Stefan led all WHL skaters with eight points (3G, 5A) in four games last week. Stefan bagged two helpers and a shootout goal on Wednesday, then followed up with 1G, 1A on Friday and 2G, 2A on Saturday. He’s up to 33 points in 22 games on the year.
- Forward Gabe Klassen was close behind Stefan, ranking second in league scoring last week with seven points. The Hawks’ captain opened his week with an assist and a shootout strike against Victoria, then posted back-to-back 1G, 2A efforts on Friday and Saturday to push his team-leading scoring totals to 14G, 27A and 41PTS in 23 games – good for a share of third among all WHL skaters on the year.
- Forward Josh Davies had a big week alongside his linemates above, with four goals and two assists across the four games. The Florida Panthers prospect scored twice on Wednesday, then scored once on both Friday and Saturday with two helpers to go with his outing against the Blades. Davies’ 1.47 points-per-game pace ranks third on the team.
- Forward Ryan Miller scored his first two goals in the WHL on Sunday. The 16-year-old forward tied the game, then gave Portland the lead, with a pair of quick shots from the high slot in the first period. Miller has skated in 12 WHL games, including nine since returning from injury this season.
- Goaltender Justen Maric earned his first WHL victory with a 36-save showing against the high-flying Saskatoon Blades on Saturday. The Edmonton, Alta. native then posted a handful of highlight-reel stops en route to 32 saves on Sunday in his third appearance of the season.
Play of the Week:
Between Ryan Miller scoring his first two WHL goals, the Klassen/Stefan/Davies line going OFF on a nightly basis and some slick mitts in Wednesday’s shootout win over Victoria, there are a LOT of fantastic plays in the mix this week. But there’s nothing like the pop of packed VMC when Jack O’Brien ripped the overtime winner over Saskatoon on Saturday – just listen! ⤵️
THE KNOCKOUT BLOW 🥊 pic.twitter.com/rcvy5nyDnz
— Portland Winterhawks (@pdxwinterhawks) November 26, 2023
Portland 4 vs Victoria 3 SO (Wednesday):
Josh Davies’ second straight two-goal game and some shootout heroics from Gabe Klassen, James Stefan and Luke Brunen helped the Winterhawks take a 4-3 SO win over the Victoria Royals on Wednesday.
Portland 3 at Everett 6 (Friday):
A dominant first period for Portland gave way to a run of six unanswered goals for the Everett Silvertips as they topped the Hawks 6-3 on Friday night.
Portland 5 vs Saskatoon 4 OT (Saturday):
Jack O’Brien scored the game-winning goal 44 seconds into overtime as the Winterhawks downed the Saskatoon Blades 5-4 at the VMC on Saturday night. Justen Maric posted 36 saves on 40 shots to earn his first WHL victory in the Winterhawks’ net.
Portland 2 vs Spokane 5 (Sunday):
Ryan Miller tallied his first two WHL goals for the Winterhawks, but a third-period scoring flurry gave the Spokane Chiefs a 5-2 win on Sunday.
The Week Ahead:
Three massive games await the Hawks as the calendar turns to December!
A home-and-home with the Wenatchee Wild opens up the three-in-three weekend, starting in their barn at 7:00 P.M. on Friday before shifting to the VMC at 6:00 P.M. on Saturday. It’s Wenatchee’s first trip to the Rose City and it falls on Fox 12/Les Schwab Toy Drive Night! Bring new, unwrapped toys to Saturday’s game and help make the holidays a little brighter for youth in the Portland area.
On Sunday, it’s a Western Conference showdown with the top-ranked Prince George Cougars. Puck drop is set for 5:00 P.M., and we’re proud to host our annual Women of the Rose City Night during this marquee matchup. Join us for a pregame panel (Winterhawks game ticket required) and be there to celebrate the wonderful women of the Winterhawks organization and beyond!
Upcoming Promo Nights:
Saturday, December 2 – Fox12/KPTV Toy Drive – BUY TICKETS
Sunday, December 3 – Women of the Rose City Night – BUY TICKETS
Saturday, December 9 – Teddy Bear Toss – BUY TICKETS
Saturday, December 16 – Holiday Sweater Night – BUY TICKETS
The Winterhawks trust Riverside Payments for all of their credit card processing as the team’s official credit card processors.