Winterhawks Weekly: Back on home ice with wins in three straight
The Winterhawks concluded a 19-day trip through Western Canada with points in five straight games, solidifying their hold on first place in the WHL’s U.S. Division. Portland picked up a pair of wins last week in B.C., knocking off Kamloops on Wednesday and Vancouver on Friday in decisive fashion.
Looking ahead, hawkey is back in the Glass Palace for the first time in a month this Friday and Sunday against Prince Albert and Everett!
- Forward Gabe Klassen led all WHL skaters with nine points in two games last week. The Prince Albert, Sask. native bagged two goals and three assists in Wednesday’s win over Kamloops, then picked up another two goals and two assists on Friday. Klassen ranks third in WHL scoring with 31 points in 17 games and earned WHL Player of the Week honors for his efforts.
- Forward Josh Davies potted his first hat-trick as a Winterhawk in Wednesday’s 7-3 win over the Blazers, then helped set up another goal in Friday’s win over the Giants. The Florida Panthers prospect has 19 points in 13 games with Portland as his impressive start continues.
- Forward James Stefan posted back-to-back multi-point outings last week, with two assists on Wednesday and a 2G, 1A showing on Friday. The Laguna Beach, Calif. native is up to 24 points on the year, good for third in team scoring.
- Defenseman Luca Cagnoni stretched his point streak to five games with seven points in two games last week. The San Jose Sharks prospect now ranks second among all WHL defensemen with 26 points after picking up a goal and four helpers on Wednesday, plus two more assists on Friday.
- Goaltender Jan Špunar was once again sterling in the crease with wins in both games last week. The 19-year-old backstop stopped 20 of 23 shots on Wednesday, then 22 of 23 on Friday for his second and third consecutive wins between the pipes.
Play of the Week:
Gabe Klassen and James Stefan were on another level in Vancouver on Friday, each scoring twice to pace the Hawks’ 5-1 victory over the Giants. As hard as it is to pick just one play, this shorthanded give-and-go is absolutely worth another watch. Take a look! ⤵️
Another period, another Klassen/Stefan special 🥵 pic.twitter.com/YgCdHmkl87
— Portland Winterhawks (@pdxwinterhawks) November 11, 2023
Portland 7 at Kamloops 3 (Wednesday):
Josh Davies scored a hat-trick, Luca Cagnoni (1G, 4A) and Gabe Klassen (2G, 3A) chipped in five points apiece and the Winterhawks cruised to a 7-3 victory over the Kamloops Blazers at the Sandman Centre on Wednesday.
Portland 5 at Vancouver 1 (Friday):
Gabe Klassen (2G, 2A) and James Stefan (2G) put on a sterling display as the Winterhawks picked up their third straight win, dominating the Vancouver Giants 5-1 at Langley Events Centre on Friday night.
The Week Ahead:
Back to work in the Rose City!
The Hawks are on home ice for two games this weekend – the first games at the VMC since Oct. 17!
First up, it’s a Friday night cross-conference clash with the Prince Albert Raiders. Puck drop is set for 7:00 P.M. as we honor Hometown Heroes at Friday’s game, complete with a new collection of game-night merch!
Then, on Sunday, Portland battles division rival Everett on Hawks Fight Hunger Night, presented by Fred Meyer! Join us for a 5:00 P.M. puck drop and help us break last year’s mark of 8,823 meals donated through the Oregon Food Bank!
Upcoming Promo Nights:
Friday, November 17 – Hometown Heroes Night – BUY TICKETS
Sunday, November 19 – Hawks Fight Hunger Night – BUY TICKETS
Saturday, December 2 – Fox12/KPTV Toy Drive – BUY TICKETS
Sunday, December 3 – Women of the Rose City Night – BUY TICKETS
Saturday, December 9 – Teddy Bear Toss – BUY TICKETS
Saturday, December 16 – Holiday Sweater Night – BUY TICKETS
The Winterhawks trust Riverside Payments for all of their credit card processing as the team’s official credit card processors.