Rocket Alumni named to Canada All-Rookie Team
A combined 11 Saskatchewan Huskies and Alberta Golden Bears were honoured Wednesday by Canada West, as the conference’s men’s hockey all-stars and all-rookies were unveiled. Former Rockets assistant captain, Gordie Ballhorn was named to the All-Rookie Team.
Ballhorn played three seasons with the Rockets between 2015 and 2018. The Wetaskiwin, AB product suited up in 175 regular season games, all for the Rockets. In 175 games he recorded 11 goals and 49 assists for 60 points. The defender added 181 penalty minutes and a +71 career +/- rating. He also added four assists in 39 playoff games. Ballhorn was an Assistant Captain for the club during the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 seasons.
After his overage campaign last season, Ballhorn signed a contract with the Allen Americans, the ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s San Jose Sharks. He played in three regular season games and seven playoff games recording an assist.
The 6’1, 194-pound defender played 28 games with the Huskies this season. While patrolling their blueline, he recorded 12 points (1G, 11A) and recorded 53 penalty minutes.
Ballhorn and the Huskies return to action this weekend after a first-round bye, they’ll welcome the Mount Royal Cougars.
The conference major awards will be announced on Wednesday, February 27 in advance of the CW Final, which gets underway Friday, March 1.
You can watch all the CW playoff action by tuning into Canada West TV.
- G / Riley Morris / Mount Royal / Calgary, Alta.
- D / Gordie Ballhorn / Saskatchewan / Wetaskiwin, Alta. / Kelowna Rockets
- D / James Shearer / Calgary / Brandon, Man. / Brandon Wheat Kings
- F / Colton Kroeker / Mount Royal / Surrey, B.C. / Kootenay Ice
- F / Grayson Pawlenchuk / Alberta / Edmonton, Alta. / Red Deer Rebels
- F / Bradley Schoonbaert / Calgary / Brandon, Man.