Preview: Rockets set to host back-to-back games
The Kelowna Rockets will be looking to bounce back from their 6-2 loss to the Kamloops Blazers on Tuesday night when they host back-to-back home games at Prospera Place this weekend.
The Rockets will welcome the Prince George Cougars on Friday and then face off against the Vancouver Giants on Saturday. Puck drop is set for 7:05 both nights.
The Rockets are 2-1 since returning to action last weekend. They outgunned the Cougars in their first game back 7-5, Trevor Wong posted a five-point night, including four goals. Kelowna bounced Victoria 7-2 on Monday before falling to the Blazers last night.
In Tuesday night’s loss, the Rockets power play went 0-for-5, while the penalty kill gave up five goals on seven attempts. Mark Liwiski scored the fourth short handed goal of the season for Kelowna.
Prince George will face Kamloops on Thursday before they head to Kelowna on Friday night.
Vancouver will be well-rested for their matchup with the Rockets, they last played on Wednesday night where they defeated the Victoria Royals 5-3. With the win, they’ve leapfroged the Kamloops Blazers for first in the BC Division.
2020-2021 B.C. Division Standings
as of Thursday afternoon
|2||Prince George Cougars||11||4||5||1||1||10|
Season series vs PG: 1-0-0-0
Apr. 17 – KEL 7 at PG 5 W
Apr. 23 – PG at KEL
May 4 – PG at KEL
May 9 – KEL at PG
Season series vs PG: 2-0-0-0
Mar. 28 – KEL 0 at VAN 6 L
Apr. 24 – VAN at KEL
Apr. 29 – VAN at KEL
May 7 – KEL at VAN
Players to watch:
- Overage forward David Kope has four points (2G, 2A) in his last two games.
- Winger Mark Liwiski has five points, including four goals, in his last three games.
Prine Geroge Cougars:
- 2004 born Kyren Gronick scored twice against the Rockets last weekend. He’s second in team scoring with eight points (4G, 4A) over 11 games.
- 2021 Draft eligible Craig Armstrong leads the Cougars in scoring with eight points (5G, 3A) in ten games this season.
- Overage forward Tristen Nielsen is tied for the lead in team scoring with 21 points (11G, 10A) through 12 games. He recorded a five point night, including a hat trick, against the Rockets on March 28.
- Florida Panthers prospect Justin Sourdif is tied with Nielsen for the team lead in points. He also leads the team in assists with 16.
TRUE Hockey Game Day Guide and JDS Projected Lineup
The TRUE Hockey Game Day Media Guide will be available with team notes, stats and rosters for all games. Feel free to print this at home.
The Rockets will post the JDS Mining Projected Lineup complete with line combos at least half an hour prior to puck drop for all games this season. You will be able to find the graphic on our Twitter, Facebook and Instagram stories.
Watch and listen
You can watch all Rockets games on the newly-launched WHL Live on CHL TV. More are details available by visiting watch.CHL.ca. As of Monday, CHL TV is now compatible with Roku.
You can also listen to the game on AM1550.