Gameday Notes: Kelowna at Victoria
|Kelowna Rockets at Victoria Royals|
|Date | Time||Tue, Oct. 29 | 7:05 pm|
|Video Stream||WHL Live|
|Radio||AM 1150, pregame at 6:30pm|
|Live Stats||WHL Box Score|
|Live Updates||@Kelowna_Rockets Twitter|
|Next Game||Wed, Oct. 30 at VIC – 7:05 pm|
TEAM NOTES PREPARED BY REGAN BARTEL OF AM 1150
- Tonight’s Preview: The Kelowna Rockets play game three of a four straight on the road tonight when they visit the Victoria Royals. These two teams hook up again tomorrow before the Rockets make a return visit for two games February 21st and 22nd. The Royals make two stops in Kelowna in November, with dates on the 6th and 20th. What does that mean? The Rockets will face the Royals four times in the next 9 games. Last season the Rockets had a boatload of success on the Island, winning three of four games (8-2 W, 5-1 W, 5-2 W) before suffering a 6-2 loss. The Rockets were 5-3-0-0 in the eight-game seasonal series, outscoring the Royals 31-20. The Rockets are coming off a 4-2 win in Prince George last Wednesday. Nolan Foote had 1+2=3 in the team’s 7th victory of the season. Following these two games in Victoria, the Rockets return home to face the Prince George Cougars on Friday and the Royals Wednesday, November 6th. In November, the Rockets play 7 of 11 games on home ice.
Tale of the tape
Kelowna Rockets (7-4-1-0 – 15 points)
T2nd in B.C. Division
Power Play: 14/58 – 24.1%
Penalty Kill: 43/55 – 78.2%
Last Ten: 6-4-0-0 Streak: 1-0-0-0
Victoria Royals (5-5-1-0 – 11 points)
3rd in B.C. Division
Power Play: 8/45 – 17.8%
Penalty Kill: 36/44 – 81.8%
Last Ten: 5-4-1-0 Streak: 1-0-0-0
- Sign here please: Dillon Hamaliuk signed an entry-level contract with the San Jose Sharks October 25th. Hamaliuk was chosen in the 2nd round by the Sharks in June’s NHL Draft. The 19-year-old joins Nolan Foote, who was signed by Tampa Bay back on June 25th.
*pizza code only valid for West Kelowna and Kelowna locations
**puck can only be shipped within BC
- Nolan Named Captain: Nolan Foote was named the 25th captain in franchise history (Tacoma+Kelowna) October 18th. Foote joins brother Cal, who captained the Rockets during the 2017-2018 season. Both are first-round selections of the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning too. The Rockets selected Foote in the second round, 42nd overall in the 2015 WHL Bantam Draft. This is Foote’s fourth and likely final season in the WHL.
- Who’s Hot: Forward Pavel Novak has 5+8=13 in 12 games. Novak has five goals in his last nine games and has points in five of his previous eight games…Liam Kindree has 2+3=5 in his last five games…Kyle Topping has points in 7 of the 12 games he has played this season…Nolan Foote has 6 goals in his last six games and has 12 multiple goal games over his career…Nolan Foote leads the team in shots on goal with 41…Roman Basran has an impressive stat line with a goals against average of 2.18 and a save percentage of .930.
- Broadcasters Notebook: Equipment Manager Chaydyn Johnson is a member of the off-ice staff for the World Under 17 Hockey Challenge in Medicine Hat and Swift Current, November 2nd to 9th. Johnson is behind the bench of Team Red ….Nolan Foote, Dillon Hamaliuk and Kaedan Korczak have been named to Team WHL for the upcoming Canada-Russia Series next month. Those three will compete in two games against the touring Russian Selects in games in Prince Albert and Saskatoon…Pavel Novak is a ‘C’ prospect for next June’s NHL Draft. Those rankings released by NHL Central Scouting. A ‘C’ prospect is regarded as a player selected between the 5th and 7th round. The 2020 NHL Entry Draft will be held in Montreal…The Rockets are 7-4-1-0 after 12 games this season. The team was 3-9-0-0 after 12 games last season and 4-9-0-0 after 13 games….Kyle Topping played in his 200th career WHL game October 4th in Prince George….Roman Basran has started in 10 of 12 games this season…The Rockets are 2-4-1-0 in 7 attempts against BC Division teams this season, with both wins coming against Prince George.