PREVIEW: Oil Kings @ Brandon Wheat Kings 11.17.23
EDMONTON OIL KINGS (6-12-0-1) @ BRANDON WHEAT KINGS (8-8-4-1) – NOVEMBER 17, 2023 – WESTOBA PLACE – 6:00 PM
2023-24 Schedule vs. Brandon Wheat Kings
Friday, Nov 17 @ Brandon
Wednesday, Nov 22 @ Edmonton
Sunday, Jan 28 @ Edmonton
Wednesday, Feb 7 @ Brandon
Tonight marks the first of four meetings this season between the Oil Kings and Wheat Kings. These two Clubs will link up again next week with a return match set for Rogers Place on Wednesday.
Last season, the Oil Kings dropped three of their four games with Brandon, losing three straight to close out the season series after a 5-3 win in their first encounter that featured a hat-trick and five -point performance from Gavin Hodnett.
All-time, the Oil Kings and Wheaties have met 60 times in the regular season with the Oil Kings holding a record of 32-26-1-1 with 12 of their wins coming at Westoba Place.
The Oil Kings come in off ending a three-game losing streak with an emphatic 6-1 win over the Regina Pats on Wednesday night at the Brandt Centre to kickoff their three-game East Division Swing.
In the win, the Oil Kings got goals from six different players. Ty Nash collected his first as an Oil King with a shorthanded marker in the first period, John Szabo, Skyler Bruce, Cole Miller and Smyth Rebman, his first career WHL goal, all scored at even-strength while Marc Lajoie pounded home a 5-on-3 power play goal to cap the scoring giving the team a power play goal now in seven straight games (7/41).
The Wheat Kings come in at 8-8-4-1 on the season having dropped four of their last five games and sitting last in the very tight East Division as they are just five points out of first.
- D Carter Kowalyk is 2 games away from 100 career games.
- F John Szabo is 3 games away from 100 career games.
- F Nathan Pilling is 3 games away from 100 career games.
- G Kolby Hay is 84 saves away from passing Torrie Jung for 4th most saves in franchise history.
- G Kolby Hay is 3 wins away from passing Dylan Myskiw and Torrie Jung for 5th most wins in franchise history.
- D Carter Kowalyk, upper-body, month-to-month (Games missed: 18).
- F Aidan Litke, upper-body, season ending (Games missed: 9).
- D Rhys Pederson, lower-body, month-to-month (Games missed: 4).
- F Rilen Kovacevic, upper-body, week-to-week (Games missed: 1).
- D Ethan MacKenzie, upper-body, TBD (Games missed: 0).
- F Adam Jecho, lower-body, TBD (Games missed: 0).
- F Skyler Bruce is on a 2-game goal/point streak (2g-1a-3pts).
- F Gavin Hodnett is on a 2-game assist/point streak (0g-3a-3pts).
- F Adam Jecho is on a 2-game assist/point streak (1g-2a-3pts).
- D Marc Lajoie is on a 2-game point streak (1g-1a-2pts).
- F Rilen Kovacevic has 10 goals in his last 15 games.
- F Skyler Bruce has 11 points (7G, 4A) in his last 10 games.
- F Gavin Hodnett has 9 points (0G, 9A) in his last 8 games.
- F Roan Woodward has 6 points (2G, 4A) in his last 8 games.
- F Nathan Pilling has 5 points (3G, 2A) in his last 8 games.
- F Adam Jecho has 8 points (3G, 5A) in his last 7 games.
- F Marshall Finnie has 4 points (2G, 2A) in his last 7 games.
- F Cole Miller has 6 points (2G, 4A) in his last 7 games.
- D Marc Lajoie has 5 points (3G, 2A) in his last 6 games.