Eagles Fall To Drakkar To Open Three Game Road Trip
NOTES FROM THE GAME
– A third period rally by the Cape Breton Eagles fell short in a 6-3 loss to the Baie-Comeau Drakkar on Friday night. Julien Paillé paced the Drakkar attack with his first career hat trick, while Raoul Boilard also added three points.
– The Eagles struck first on a goal by Lucas Romeo, before the Drakkar built a 5-1 lead. Third period Eagle goals by Tomas Cibulka (his first as an Eagle) and Antoine Roy was countered by a late Isaac Dufort marker.
– Charles-Édward Gravel stopped 22 of 23 shots in the win, while Nicolas Ruccia turned aside 24 of 30 in the loss.
The Eagles carried the early portion of the opening frame, and were rewarded with the first goal when Romeo place a rising shot past Gravel. Baie-Comeau would then begin to carry the play, however, hitting the post twice in the first ten minutes of the opening period.
The Drakkar breakthrough came when Paillé won a battle in the blue paint to push the puck past Ruccia for a power play goal. Less than three minutes later, Boilard, who earned an assist on the opening goal, snuck up the left wing and snapped a Justin Poirier pass by Ruccia to give Baie-Comeau a lead they’d carry to intermission.
Baie-Comeau added to their lead in the second period with a pair of goals score on two on ones. First, it was Poirier keeping the puck to rip his league leading 40th of the season past Ruccia, Then, short handed, Paille would keep the puck and score off the left wing to add to the lead.
Paille finished his hat trick in the third period with another power play marker, but the Eagles didn’t roll over as Cibulka found the back of the net at the 9:02 mark. The goal came after he fired the shot wide off the boards and it bounced off of him into the net. A video review deemed it a good goal.
The pushback continued just four minutes later when Roy hammered a Luke Patterson pass by Gravel to make it 5-3. The Eagles could get no closer though, as Dufort’s goal with under four minutes remaining finished the scoring for the night.
The Eagles are next in action tomorrow as they head to Chicoutimi to face the Saguenéens! Puck drop is 5 PM Atlantic time . The game is available for purchase on https://shorturl.at/IOSX7 and you can also hear all the action on 1270 AM CJCB or online at www.cjcbradio.com
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. Julien Paillé (Baie-Comeau) 3 goals, 6 shots, 4 hits
2. Raoul Boilard (Baie-Comeau) 1 goal, 2 assists
3. Justin Poirier (Baie-Comeau) 1 goal, 1 assist
Scratches For Cape Breton: Angelo Fullerton (illness), Jude Campbell, Callum Aucoin
Scratches For Baie-Comeau: Émile Chouinard, Félix Gagnon, Alexis Mathieu
Final Shots On Goal: 30-23 in favour of Baie-Comeau
Cape Breton Power Play: 0/3
Baie-Comeau Power Play: 2/4