Eagles Double Islanders On Friday Night At Nest
NOTES FROM THE GAME
– Two third period goals broke a deadlock as the Cape Breton Eagles topped the Charlottetown Islanders 4-2 on Friday night at Centre 200.
– Playing for the first game against his old team, Lucas Romeo scored and added an assist while Cam MacDonald scored twice in the win. Xavier Daigle also scored in the win while Olivier Houde added two assists.
– Nicolas Ruccia picked up the win in goal, stopping 33 of 35 shots. Carter Bickle took the loss, allowing four goals on 27 shots.
– Friday’s game was scheduled to open a two game set between the two teams, but due to inclement weather, the game originally scheduled for Saturday night has been postponed. Fans are advised to check Cape Breton Eagles social media and www.capebretoneagles.com for information about a new date for the game.
Charlottetown earned Friday’s first power play in the opening period as Lucas Romeo was sent to the penalty box for a check to the head. The power play wasn’t 20 seconds old when Luke Patterson drove to the goal, drawing a slashing penalty on Ross Campbell and creating a prolonged four on four. It was then that Charlottetown would strike, as a point shot from Alexis Michaud redirected off of a body in front, and after a video review the goal was upheld.
The second period saw both teams rally- the Eagles took a lead scoring twice in 26 seconds past the halfway mark. Daigle got the Eagles on the board at 11:26, sneaking up the left side of the ice and ripping the puck past Bickle. MacDonald’s goal was a shot that rose up over Bickle to put the home side in front. Matthew Butler shot from the right faceoff circle tied the game up before period’s end.
It remained tied halfway through the third frame when Romeo broke open the tie. With the Eagles pressing, Romeo swatted a backhand by Bickle. Then, past the 15 minute mark, Romeo set up MacDonald streaking up the left wing for an insurance marker.
Charlottetown had an opportunity to get closer in the late stages as Jacob Newcombe was whistled for a penalty with 2:05 remaining. The Islanders elected to keep Bickle in for the first minute of the power play, and as he was heading to the bench for the extra attacker, Charlottetown’s Ross Campbell was given a minor penalty and the play reset to four on four. The Isles were able to get Bickle to the bench to create a brief five on four but were unable to get any closer.
With the scheduled game on Saturday night postponed, the Eagles will next be in action on Wednesday, February 7th when they visit the Rimouski Océanic. Puck drop is 8 PM Atlantic time. The game is available for purchase at https://shorturl.at/tvwzN and you can also hear all the action on 1270 AM CJCB or online at www.cjcbradio.com
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. Cam MacDonald (Cape Breton) 2 goals, +3
2. Lucas Romeo (Cape Breton) 1 goal, 1 assist, 4 hits
3. Olivier Houde (Cape Breton) 2 assists, +2
Scratches For Cape Breton: Angelo Fullerton (illness), Jude Campbell, Etienne Desjardins
Scratches For Charlottetown: Simon Duguay, Anthony Flanagan
Final Shots On Goal: 35-27 in favour of Charlottetown
Cape Breton Power Play: 0/2
Charlottetown Power Play: 0/5