Eagles Blank Charlottettown To Conclude Road Trip
NOTES FROM THE GAME
– Jakob Milota stopped all 36 shots as the Eagles blanked the Charlottetown Islanders 3-0 at the Eastlink Centre in Charlottetown on Tuesday night.
– Brayden Schmitt & Olvier Houde found the back of the net beating Carter Bickle, who turned aside 20 of 22 shots. Cam Squires added an empty net goal, while Luke Patterson notched two assists.
– It’s the second consecutive meeting between the teams where the Eagles have shut out the Islanders, having blanked Charlottetown 5-0 in the prior meeting in Sydney.
The game didn’t take long to find a game winning goal- just 1:58 into the opening period, Schmitt ripped a shot from between the top faceoff circles over Bickle. It was the Eagles first shot of the period.
Before the period’s end, Houde added to the lead, winning a battle for the blue paint and getting the puck by Bickle. The Eagles led 2-0 after the opening stanza, a period played entirely at even strength with the exception of nine seconds of power play time for both sides.
Charlottetown outshot the Eagles 15-8 in the second period, but the quality chances were kept to a minimum as the Eagles held their two goal lead. Still unable to solve Milota by the third period, Charlottetown coach Jim Hulton elected to lift Bickle early, with over four minutes to play.
The Islanders were able to gain the Eagles zone, but couldn’t solve Milota, and Squires wired the puck from his own end into the empty cage to seal a 3-0 victory for the visitors.
The Eagles return home this Saturday to take on the Drummondville Voltigeurs in the second annual Pride night at the Nest! It’s also Student Saturday, with $7 tickets for those 18 & under. It’s the only visit Drummondville will make to Centre 200 this year, with a roster featuring Arizona first round draft pick Maveric Lamoureux along with other NHL drafted players Ethan Gauthier, Tyler Peddle, and Vsevolod Komarov.
Puck drop is at 7 PM. Tickets can be purchased at https://shorturl.at/eloJZ. They are also available for purchase in person at the Centre 200 box office and by the phone during box office hours at 902-564-2200
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. Jakob Milota (Cape Breton) 36 saves on 36 shots
2. Brayden Schmitt (Cape Breton) Game winning goal, +2
3. Marcus Kearsey (Charlottetown) 3 shots, 3 hits
Scratches For Cape Breton: Jacob Newcombe (Illness), Tomas Lavoie (injury), Luke McPhee, Callum Aucoin
Scratches For Charlottetown: Kevin Walker (injury), Sam Bowness, Jarrett Todd
Final Shots On Goal: 36-23 in favour of Charlottetown
Cape Breton Power Play: 0/1
Charlottetown Power Play: 0/3